Historic Markers Across Florida



Double Branch Baptist Church and Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: on SR 54 at Westmark Estates, Wesley Chapel, FL.
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 14.422    W 082° 19.508
  28.24036666    -82.32513333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2ZFJ
 



Text:

Double Branch Baptist Church and Cemetery



By 1884 Mary Jane Godwin had applied for a Homestead Patent for 160 acres of land along present day S.R. 54. She received a two-acre parcel of this land on January 27, 1890, one acre for the cemetery and one acre for the church-Double Branch Missionary Baptist Church, now First Baptist of Wesley Chapel. The oldest marked grave is of James Strickland who died on January 30, 1908. Other early graves are of the pioneering families Godwin, Smith, Tucker and Wells. The cemetery is owned and maintained by the church. Church members and their immediate family may be buried here upon request.

Erected by
The Pasco Board of County Commissioners and
The Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee.
2003



Notes:

City: Wesley Chapel, FL.