Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Dade



Marker ID: FLHM F-136
Location: East Side of U.S. 301, 7 miles north of Dade City.
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 28.658    W 082° 10.704
  28.47763333    -82.1784
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4612
 



Text:

Located one mile east of this point on the south bank of the Withlacoochee River at the crossing of the Fort King Road. The Fort, built in 1837, named for Major Francis Langhorne Dade, served for many years as a depot and observation post in the heart of the Seminole Indian settlement. Here, March 6, 1837, the Seminole leaders, Jumper and Alligator, met General Thomas S. Jesup to sign the "Ft. Dade Capitulation."

Sponsors: Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials


Notes:

City: Dade City, FL