Historic Markers Across Florida



Land O'Lakes



Marker ID:  
Location: At the Land of Lakes Park on Land of Lakes Blvd at Community Center Rd.
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 14.145    W 082° 27.587
  28.23575    -82.45978333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3TN5
 



Text:

Following removal of the Seminoles, resettlement of this area began in the 1880´s with establishment of a stagecoach relay station between Broosville and Tampa. Several small communities later developed in the vicinity, most of them lumber and turpentine towns along the railroads. In this general area were: Big Cypress, Disston, Drexel, Ehren, Fivay Junction, Godwin, Mexico, Myrtle-Denham, Pleasant Plains, Shingleton, Stemper and Tucker. By the 1930´s citrus cultivation was the area´s principal industry. With consolodation of schools and post offices, and following a public contest, the community was named Land O´Lakes on September 1, 1950.

Pasco Board of County Commissioners and Historical Preservation Committee 1987


Notes:

City: Land O'Lakes, FL