Historic Markers Across Florida



Blanton Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: On Sweetwater Rd., Dade City, FL
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 24.706    W 082° 14.805
  28.41176666    -82.24675
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMETGW
 



Text:

The church was built in 1906 by Will Heacock and Tom Jordan on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Blocker. The pioneer congregation which worshipped at Mt. Olive Church on the Dowling Place about a mile away had decided it was too far from "town." In 1928 when Townsnd House Church near Hancock Lake discontinued regular services, several of its members joined here. The congregation diminished as the lumber and turpentine industries moved away. Most current members are kinflok of the pioneer settlers.


Sponsored or placed by: Pasco Board of County Commissioners and the Historical Preservation Committee