Historic Markers Across Florida



Ehren Community



Marker ID:  
Location: On the Ehren Cemetery Rd., Land O Lakes, FL
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 15.640    W 082° 26.146
  28.26066666    -82.43576666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGY30
 



Text:

Named by sawmill owners Frederick and Louis Muller, Ehren means "place of honor" in their native German language. Its post office opened Jan. 17, 1890 and closed in 1950. Burned and rebuilt several times, the post office was once listed in Ripley's Believe It or Not! as the nation's smallest. By 1910 the community boasted a hotel and school along with Ehren Pine Company Sawmill. A stagecoach relay station--called 26-mile House--on the Brooksville-Tampa route was in the vicinity in the mid 1800s. Survivors of this once bustling lumbertown include Ehren and Mt. Carmel cemeteries, and a bald cypress considered one of Florida's largest.

The Pasco Board of County Commissioners and The Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee