Historic Markers Across Florida



Townsend House Church & Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: on Townsend House, Dade City, FL
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 25.657    W 082° 19.081
  28.42761666    -82.31801666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH74Z
 



Text:

Captain John Townsend and his wife, Nancy, brought their family and slaves to this area from North Florida in the late 1840's. The log home they built became the center of a pioneer community and a refuge from unfriendly Indians. After 1865 when the Townsends moved to a new home nearby, settlers built another "Townsend House" for use as a Methodist church and three-month-term school. The present building was constructed about 1880 on land donated by Joshua Mizell. The cemetery has been in use since before 1854.
The area also was the site of a substantial Indian settlement in the sixteenth century.

The Pasco Board of County Commissioners and The Historical Preservation Committee
1981