Historic Markers Across Florida



Prospect Community



Marker ID:  
Location: On Prospect Rd at Handcart Rd., Dade City, FL
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 18.616    W 082° 14.735
  28.31026666    -82.24558333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH5J8
 



Text:

Once home to the Eufaula Indians, Prospect Community, also known as Gaskin Settlement, was west of Lake Buddy and Lake Pasadena.

In 1842, Jacob Wells was the first recorded settler in the area. His sister, Elizabeth Jane Osburn, and her husband, David, arrived in 1853 followed by Lybron Kersey, Lewis Gaskin and others.

The first Prospect Church/School, built of logs in 1855, was located southeast of here.

In 1887, David and Elizabeth Jane Osburn deeded two acres north of here, near Blue Sink, for the next church and school. They were built of pine lumber by Jack Osburn and Jack Gaskin. The cemetery adjoined.

This congregation joined the Florida Methodist Conference and at one time had 153 members. The group disbanded in 1941 and members transferred to other area churches.

The second Prospect School continued at this location until the 1890s when a third school was built about three miles south. It continued until 1942 when the students transferred to Dade City schools. S.M. "Med" and Mae Gaskin bought the building and used the material for an addition to their home, which had been the Sand Pond School on Ft. King Road south of LeHeup Hill.

The Prospect Cemetery no longer exists. Six graves were moved to nearby Williams Cemetery in the 1960s.

The Pasco Board of County Commissioners and the Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee
2004