Historic Markers Across Florida



Dade City Grammar School



Marker ID:  
Location: At Cox Elementary School, on Martin Luther Link Blvd west of 10th Street, Dade City, FL
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 22.129    W 082° 11.624
  28.36881666    -82.19373333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMH394
 



Text:

Erected in 1926 as the Florida Land Boom ended, this Collegiate Gothic style building was financed by bonds of Special Tax School District No. 7. In 1934 it was conveyed to the Pasco County Board of Public Instruction.

Renamed in 1973 in memory of Rodney B. Cox, Superintendent of Schools and former principal, the school occupies part of the farm homesteaded by John C. Overstreet in the 1880s. Overstreet's home, oldest surviving structure in Pasco County, later served as janitor's residence. It was moved to the Pioneer Florida Museum in 1978.

The Pasco Board of County Commissioners and The Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee
1998