Historic Markers Across Florida



Concord Stagecoach Road



Marker ID:  
Location: At the end of Stagecoach Village Rd at Mossy Oak Circle, Land O' Lakes, FL.
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 12.432    W 082° 24.129
  28.2072    -82.40215
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH8YR
 



Text:

Stagecoach Village takes its name from the coach road connecting Tampa Bay with the settlement at Chocochattee Hammock, near present-day Brooksville. The route-about 1 1/2 miles west of here-was sometimes called "Scott's Trail," having been cleared by the U.S. Army under Gen. Winfield Scott during the Second Seminole War. An old Indian trail ran parallel to the coach road at this spot.

An archeological examination by Janus Research-commissioned by Lennar Homes-revealed two prehistoric campsites in this vicinity, one of them datable between the seventh and fifteenth centuries.

About 1850, the Concord Stagecoach Line began regular passenger service and a relay station known as "26-Mile House," because it was 26 miles south of Chocochattee, was located in this vicinity. Stagecoach service was suspended during the Third Seminole War in 1856 but resumed afterward and continued through the War Between the States. Near the end of the 19th century, stagecoach travel was supplanted by the railroads.

The Pasco Board of County Commissioners, The Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee and Lennar Homes, Inc.


Notes:

More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars