Historic Markers Across Florida



Holton Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: at the cemetery on McKendree Rd, Wesley Chapel, FL
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 17.267    W 082° 19.343
  28.28778333    -82.32238333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK2PB
 



Text:

Donated by Julia Elizabeth Holton Benner in the 1880's, the cemetery's two acres were deeded to the Holton Cemetery Association by Mark H. and S. Louise Holton, on June 5, 1905 without benefit of a survey. When the adjacent property sold in 1961, it was discovered the deeded property was next to Holton Lake, instead of the hill overlooking it. The purchasers, J.E. and Alpha Cloughley, graciously consented to swapping parcels and the appropriate deeds were recorded.

The first Board of Trustees was comprised of Mark H. Holton, E.F. Ellis, and J.E. Branch. The current members are Michael C. Boyette, Wayne Carr, Pamela Christensen, Lorene Connell, Gary Cooper, Evelyn Mann, and James W. (Bill) McKendree. All are descendants of the pioneer families buried here and most are related to one another, often through more than one line.

Besides pioneers, buried here are veterans of the "Knights Company Florida Volunteers Indian War", the Third Seminole War of the 1850s and both sides of the War Between the States. The earliest marked grave is that of James B. Wilson (1834-1883), however there are several old stones worn away or never engraved. Pioneer descendant Esther Burnside Boyette recalls several wooden markers, since rotted away, which may represent the oldest graves.

Pasco County Board of County Commissioners and Greater Wesley Chapel Chamber of Commerce and Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee



Notes:

More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars