Historic Markers Across Florida



The Tucker Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: in the cemetery on Melrose Ave (CR Alt 35A), east of the Old Lakeland Hwy, Richland. FL
County: Pasco
Coordinates: N 28° 16.863    W 082° 07.910
  28.28105    -82.13183333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ6BW
 



Text:

This oldest cemetery in Pasco County has existed since before 1855. Thomas and Sarah Tucker settled in the area about 1842 and in 1845 planted the county's first orange grove. Family history records an earlier generation of Tuckers lived in the vicinity about 1790. The surrounding community was called Tuckertown until the railroad came through and the name was changed to Richland. The entire front section of the cemetery property was deeded to Pasco County as a burying place for indigents in 1965. The county agreed to fence and maintain in perpetuity the original cemetery reserved for descendants of the Tuckers and their slaves.

Pasco County Board of County Commissioners and
Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee