Historic Markers Across Florida



The Seminole Bridge



Marker ID:  
Location: on Seminole St, west of N Osceola Ave, Clearwater, FL
County: Pinellas
Coordinates: N 27° 58.431    W 082° 48.076
  27.97385    -82.80126666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3JJ4
 



Text:

The Seminole Bridge was the original link to Clearwater Beach. Completed in 1917, the wooden bridge opened up access to the beach and paved the way for its first development. The bridge terminated where the Palm Pavilion stands today. It became known as the "Rickety Bridge" because the unforgiving Florida Sun warped the boards, popping out the nails at either end. Automobiles would "clippity clop" along at a slow, noisy pace. A turnstile allowed boats to pass through. The bridges life span was cut short, in part, by the hurricane of ´21 and, finally, by the completion of Memorial Causeway in 1926.

Clearwater Historical Society


Notes:

City: Clearwater, FL