Historic Markers Across Florida



Clearwater Post Office



Marker ID: FLHM F-318
Location: On Cleveland St, Clearwater, FL
County: Pinellas
Coordinates: N 27° 57.943    W 082° 47.832
  27.96571666    -82.7972
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM39JQ
 



Text:

On October 9, 1933 Clearwater´s first government post office building was dedicated on this site with Postmaster General James A. Farley officiating. The local postmaster at the time was Charles R. Lee. This Mediterranean-Revival style building was designed by Clearwater architect Theodore Skinner, and built by the Palm Beach construction firm of Walt and Sinclair of Florida. It is representative of the 1930´s federal works projects which reflected regional design influence and commissioned local professionals and industries. The exterior finish of the building is oolitic limestone quarried in the Florida Keys. The post office was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

Sponsors: Sponsored by the Clearwater Historical Society in cooperation with the Department of State


Notes:

City: Clearwater, FL