Historic Markers Across Florida



The Old Pinellas County Courthouse



Marker ID: FLHM F-941
Location: South Ft. Harrison at Court St., Clearwater, FL
County: Pinellas
Coordinates: N 27° 57.717    W 082° 48.003
  27.96195    -82.80005
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMW9WN
 



Text:

The Old Pinellas
County Courthouse


Formed in 1912, Pinellas County quickly outgrew its original courthouse and in 1916 the Board of County Commissioners voted in favor of a $160,000 bond issue to finance the construction of a new courthouse and jail. Well-known architect Francis J. Kennard was chosen for the design, and the land was purchased for $5,000 on January 19, 1917. Contracts totaling $119,823 were awarded to Bates, Hudnall, & Jetton and G.A. Miller & Company for the construction of the courthouse and jail, respectively. The building was completed on time and within budget in 1918.. The first floor contained the county's business records and commissioners' offices. The second floor housed one large courtroom, judges' offices, and jury and grand jury rooms. The courthouse is an excellent example of Neo-Classical Revival architecture, similar to other early 20th century public buildings in Florida. The Old Pinellas County Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance as the first permanent building in Pinellas County erected as the seat of county government. It was designated a local historic landmark by the City of Clearwater in partnership with the Pinellas County Historic Preservation Board in 2015.






F-941 Sponsored by the Pinellas County Historic Preservation Board,
and the Florida Department of State
2017