Historic Markers Across Florida



Ozona Village Hall



Marker ID: FLHM F-942
Location: Bay St between Orange and Banana Sts., Ozona, FL
County: Pinellas
Coordinates: N 28° 04.209    W 082° 46.633
  28.07015    -82.77721666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVQZG
 



Text:

Ozona Village Hall


In 1895, Dr. Susan K. Whitford and other local women founded the Ozona Ladies Improvement Society, which focused on community development initiatives. Early meetings were held in members' homes, and it was quickly decided that a permanent meeting hall was needed. Members used bake sales, ice cream socials, and seafood dinners to raise funds to cover construction costs. They also secured commitments for donated materials and labor. In 1900, the Ozona Village Improvement Society (OVIS) incorporated to take over the hall's ownership and operation. The hall served as a polling place, library, town hall, dance hall, theater, church, and meeting place for local clubs and organizations. It survived hurricanes in 1918 and 1921, and was nearly burned down in 1933. OVIS transferred ownership to the Ozona Recreation Club in 1935 because of its younger, more active members, but regained ownership in 1999 due to the club's declining membership. The hall is one of the oldest structures in continual community ownership in Pinellas County, and was designated a Historic Local Landmark by the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners on November 10, 2015, due to its significance in the county's history and culture.





F-942 Sponsored by Pinellas County Historical Preservation Board
and The Florida Department of State
2017