Historic Markers Across Florida



Massacre of the Spanish (1567)



Marker ID:  
Location: on Phillippe Park Dr, Tampa, FL
County: Pinellas
Coordinates: N 28° 00.601    W 082° 40.789
  28.01001666    -82.67981666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8EY6
 



Text:

Menendez, Spanish Governor of Florida, after building fort at St Augustine (1565) came to this site in 1567 and persuaded the Indian Chief Tocobago and his 1500 braves who lived here, to accept Christianity. Menendez erected a blockhouse for a mission used by Jesuit Priest, Father Rogel, and 30 soldiers.
Later, during Rogel´s absence, the Indians massacared all but three soldiers and these were killed when Rogel´s ship appeared in the bay. The mission was abandoned in 1568.

This commorative plaque erected by Florida Society Colonial Dames XVII Century
January 14, 1961