Historic Markers Across Florida



Pioneering Pinellas Park



Marker ID:  
Location: at 58th St at 74th Ave, Pinellas Park, FL
County: Pinellas
Coordinates: N 27° 50.372    W 082° 42.770
  27.83953333    -82.71283333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5MXP
 



Text:

This area surrounding Pinellas Park´s original train station has been a hub of activity since P.J. McDevitt arrived in 1909 to grow sugar cane. in 1912 one of Pinellas park´s pioneers, Walter Bender, built his hme in the area now known as Davis Field. By 1927, Pinellas Park was thriving and another pioneering family, headed by Charles "Mac" Wiggins, arrived. Between them, the Bender and Wiggins clans provided the town with farmers, firefighters, a police chief, war veterans, and a relative by marriage who served as Florida´s 32nd Governor. The Bender and Wiggins families were joined by marriage in 1954, and Paul and Shiela Bender remained in Pinellas Park to raise their own family and continue their ancestors´ traditions of community service. Pinellas Park was incorporated as a City on June 19, 1959, and many more families have followed Pinellas Park grow and thrive as the heart of Pinellas.

City of Pinellas Park


Notes:

City: Pinellas Park, FL