Historic Markers Across Florida



First Public School 1854



Marker ID:  
Location: On Druid Rd near Arcturass Ave, Clearwater, FL
County: Pinellas
Coordinates: N 27° 57.425    W 082° 45.532
  27.95708333    -82.75886666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHE0V
 



Text:

Near this site was located the first public supported school within the present limits of the City of Clearwater. Known as the Taylor Schoolhouse, erected in 1854. The surnames of the pupils included Taylor, Turner, McMullen, Henderson, Johnson, White, Stevenson, Brownlow and Whitehurst, all early settlers of this county.

The Clearwater Historical Committee