Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Harrison



Marker ID:  
Location: On Druid Rd at Spottis Woode Ln, Clearwater, FL
County: Pinellas
Coordinates: N 27° 57.436    W 082° 48.244
  27.95726666    -82.80406666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMKCE2
 



Text:

Fort Harrison
Named in honor of President William Henry Harrison, ninth President of the United States
Washington, D.C.
Hon Herbert J. Drane
March 18th, 1935


According to the records of the War Department of the United States, Fort Harrison, formerly Clearwater Harbor, Florida, was established April 2nd, 1841. It was located in Latitude 28 about thirty miles west of Fort Brooke and stood on a pine bluff twenty five feet above the level of the sea, fronting on a bay between two and three miles wide.

From two to seven companies of the Sixth U.S. Infantry were stationed at the fort during its occupancy under command of Lieutenant Colonel Gustavus Loomis of that regiment. That command moved to Fort Brooke about October 20th, 1841. The greatest number of troops shown to have occupied the fort appears as twenty officers and four hundred seventy six enlisted men in May 1841. Besides Colonel Loomis, Major William Hoffman, Captain A. Cady, Captain Oustavus Dorr, and Captain George Andrews, all officers of the Sixth U.S. Infantry are shown to have been stationed at the fort at various times. Fort Harrison was abandoned about November 1st, 1841.

James F. McKinley
Major General
The Adjutant General

On May 22nd, 1931, the Hon. Herbert J. Drane, Congressman from the 1st District Florida, together with Col. Howard L Landers, who at that time was head of the historical section of the War Department, made an official visit to Clearwater to located the site of Fort Harrison. They relocated this old abandoned and long since demolished fort on this estate of Robert S. Brown and authenticated same on the above date.

Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Randolph Gibson Owsley, Jr. for historical significance, July 4, 1976