Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Ignatius of Antioch Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 715 E Orange St, Tarpon Springs, FL
County: Pinellas
Coordinates: N 28° 8.821    W 082° 44.708
  28.14701666    -82.74513333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMW9WJ
 



Text:

St. Ignatius of Antioch Church
Established 1889
Oldest Catholic Community in Pinellas County


In 1888 land was donated for a Catholic church by former Arizona Governor Anson P.K. Safford. A small 28' x 18' mission chapel named St. Ignatius was built by Judge John D. Murphy on Lemon Street the following year, and on May 20, 1889, Father Philippe de Carriere, S.J. celebrated its first mass. By 1905 the church was expanded and in 1929 the mission was entrusted to St. Ceceilia parish in Clearwater. In the late 1940's Msgr. Colreavy purchased 10 lots at the present location and an army frame chapel was relocated to the site. The parish was canonically established on December 9, 1954 under the pastorate of Father William Dubois. The parish continued to grow rapidly over the next 15 years, and more adjoining land was purchased in 1976. Five years later the new church was dedicated. The church's seven large laminated pine beams were transported from North Carolina on the old Atlantic Coast Line Railroad's last local run. That rail line would become the Pinellas Trail.

Erected 2017