Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Gardiner



Marker ID:  
Location: Marker, damaged and now removed, was on County Road 17A, 1.6 miles east of u.s. 27A. Plans are to relocate it at Lake Kissimmee State Park, 15 miles east of Lake Wales on Camp Mack Road.
County: Polk
Coordinates:   
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

A few miles east of here, on the banks of the Kissimmee River, stood Fort Gardiner.
Named for Captain George Washington Gardiner who died in the Dade Massacre in 1835.

Established December 2, 1837 by Colonel Zachary Taylor on his march to the Battle of Okeechobee. Designated as the headquarters, First Brigade, Army South- of the Withlacoochee: it was used in 1838 by the Fourth and Sixth Infantry. Following the battle, the wounded were brought to this depot and sent forward to Tampa on January 1, 1838.

Erected by Polk County Historical Commission


Notes:

Marker, damaged and now removed