Historic Markers Across Florida



Munn Park



Marker ID:  
Location: 201 East Main Street, Lakeland, FL
County: Polk
Coordinates: N 28° 2.657    W 081° 57.318
  28.04428333    -81.9553
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMHAYD
 



Text:

Munn Park was established in 1884 as a town square in Lakeland's first subdivision, the original Munn's Subdivision. Later the entire block was dedicated by Abraham Munn as a "Public Square" in perpetuity, to forever remain in public ownership. As early as 1889 the site was developed for public use, including walks, bandstand and a well. About this time it was briefly known as Drane Park and served as a backdrop to Lakeland's first train station located at the park's northern border.

Early in the 20th century the park served as an outdoor meeting place and center of public debate. Over the years the park has undergone several changes. In 1910 a Confederate monument was placed in the center of a circular walkway to honor those who died in the Civil War. Later ponds and gardens were added. In 1961, angular pattern walkways replaced the circle. A gazebo and the lighted, musical "waltzing waters" fountain were added features.

In 1989 the park was redesigned to enhance the character of the surrounding Munn Park Historic District. The redesign has taken the park back to the more simplistic "Town Square Era" in which the district was originally developed.

The City of Lakeland proudly rededicates this park to the residents of Lakeland and recognizes the contribution of the Lakeland Area Chamber of Commerce Visual Improvement Task Force which raised funds for the project. Throughout the park names of contributors are placed on items they purchased through the "Own a Piece of the Park" campaign. The City thanks all those who contributed to this community effort.

Erected by the City of Lakeland.