Historic Markers Across Florida



The Women's Club of Lakeland 59 Lake Morton Drive



Marker ID: FLHM F-414
Location: On Lake Morton Drive in Lakeland, FL
County: Polk
Coordinates: N 28° 02.389    W 081° 57.087
  28.03981666    -81.95145
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGDWB
 



Text:

The Women’s Club of Lakeland was organized in 1912. In 1923 the club purchased this property as the site for its clubhouse. W. B. Talley, a Lakeland architect, designed this colonial revival building in 1927 and in 1928 construction was completed by the Billman-Purdy Construction Company at a cost of $13,000. This clubhouse would serve one of the city’s oldest and most active social civic organization for the past fifty years.

The Colonial Revival style was first introduced at the Philadelphia Exposition in 1876 and was brought to Florida in the late 1880’s. It signified a rebirth of interest in the early English and Dutch houses of the Atlantic Seaboard and drew upon Georgian and Adam architecture for references. Typical Colonial Revival characteristics that can be seen here include an accentuated front door with a decorative pediment and sidelights, a hipped roof, and double hung sash windows in adjacent pairs.

The Woman’s Club building is a contributing structure to the East Lake Morton Residential District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.

The City of Lakeland Historic Preservation Board and the Florida Department of State