Historic Markers Across Florida



Ephraim M. Baynard House 1894



Marker ID:  
Location: On Shelby St near W lake Ave, Auburndale, FL
County: Polk
Coordinates: N 28° 04.032    W 081° 47.377
  28.0672    -81.78961666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMN518
 



Text:

Ephraim M. Baynard, born in South Carolina in 1861, arrived in Auburndale soon after its founding. By 1893, he owned one of the general stores in the community and acreage planted in citrus and tomatoes. As a highly successful grower, Baynard owned and operated the Chase Packing Plant until it was destroyed by fire. He sold his general store in 1902 and became intensely involved in real estate development in the 1920s. Baynard built several commercial buildings and at least two residences in Auburndale. Mr. Baynard's home, located on West Lake Avenue, was built in 1894 by Alfred Chipman Thorpe and is an example of the Folk Victorian architectural style. Another barnyard home was built in 1914 by Thorpe's son, Harry, and later became the Kersey Funeral Home. Ephraim M. Baynard received recognition from the State of Florida as a Great Floridian in the year 2000. The Baynard House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

City of Auburndale, Auburndale Community Redevelopment Agency,
Auburndale Historic Preservation Commission, Centennial Celebration Committee