Historic Markers Across Florida



Patterson Retail Building Circa 1916



Marker ID:  
Location: East Park Street, Auburndale, FL
County: Polk
Coordinates: N 28° 03.928    W 081° 47.307
  28.06546666    -81.78845
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMN5AB
 



Text:

Nearly all of the early commercial buildings in Auburndale were constructed from wood. As a result, three fires destroyed the heart of Auburndale's business sector in 1912, 1913, and 1915. The fire of 1913 was magnified by a great explosion that occurred when flames engulfed a large cache of dynamite. In response to the disaster, Mayor E. S. Anderson appointed a committee to draft a fire zone ordinance requiring fire resistant structures within the downtown commercial district. Because of this requirement, John Patterson, an active member of Auburndale's early business community, constructed the Patterson Retail Building in 1916 using masonry building techniques. The Masonary Vernacular building is an example of the style that became more common for commercial buildings of the 1920's. The Patterson Retail Building has been home to at least two drug stores and a professional office.

City of Auburndale, Auburndale Community Redevelopment Agency,
Auburndale Historic Preservation Commission,
Centennial Celebration Committee