Historic Markers Across Florida



"Flatiron" Triangle Building Circa 1912



Marker ID:  
Location: 102 Main Street, Auburndale, FL
County: Polk
Coordinates: N 28° 03.910    W 081° 47.331
  28.06516666    -81.78885
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMN5AE
 



Text:

Because this building occupies a corner position on a triangular shaped lot, it has been historically referred to as the "flatiron" building, deriving its nickname from the triangular shaped electric clothing press irons popularized in the 1920's. Constructed around 1912, the building is one of the oldest Masonary Venacular commercial structures in Auburndale's historic business district. It is believed to be the only commercial structure to survive all three fires that destroyed the heart of Auburndale's business sector in 1912, 1913, and 1915. The building was originally constructed as the First State Bank of Auburndale, which opened for business in 1912 but failed in the 1930's under duress of the Great Depression. Auburndale's most well known early local photographer, Alice Kaszer, once operated a photo shop in the building. Other commercial occupants have included a furniture store, post office, restaurant and professional office.

City of Auburndale, Auburndale Community Redevelopment Agency,
Auburndale Historic Preservation Commission,
Centennial Celebration Committee