Historic Markers Across Florida



Auburndale City Hall 1927



Marker ID:  
Location: East Park Street, Auburndale, FL
County: Polk
Coordinates: N 28° 03.893    W 081° 47.357
  28.06488333    -81.78928333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMN5X4
 



Text:

The City of Auburndale was incorporated in 1911 and obtained a $60,000 bond in 1926 to construct a new city hall. Four proposed sites were presented as possible locations for the building until, after some indecisions, the City purchased a lot from Ephraim M. Baynard for $6,000. Designed by architect Rolland C. Buckley of Lakeland, and constructed by Paul H. Smith, an Auburndale building contractor, the new city office opened in 1927. City Hall originally housed all municipal offices including the Fire Department, City Clerk, City Manager, and Mayor on the first floor of the building. The second floor contained a courtroom, Council chambers, and a fireman's dormitory. City Hall has also served as home to the Chamber of Commerce, Public Library and Police Department, The building provides a relatively rare and visually appealing example of the Italian Renaissance style, made popular in New York by the famous architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White.

City of Auburndale, Auburndale Community Redevelopment Agency,
Auburndale Historic Preservation Commission,