Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Polk County Courthouse



Marker ID: FLHM F-549
Location: on E Davidson St at N Broadway St.
County: Polk
Coordinates: N 27° 53.819    W 081° 50.574
  27.89698333    -81.8429
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPZY
 



Text:

Polk County was established February 8, 1861 formed from eastern Hillsborough County and western Brevard County and comprised one of two counties created after the state´s secession from the union. Polk County was named after James Knox Polk the eleventh president of the United States. Polk served from 1845 to 1849, and was the first president to hold office after Florida achieved statehood. The turbulent 1860´s saw Polk´s seat of government changed several times. Located first at Mud Lake, the county seat soon moved to Jefferson, a surveyed town site within the present day limits of Bartow. Court and County records were maintained in the home of the county clerk the Reverend Jeremiah Hayman at Six Mile Creek. In 1867 cattleman Jacob Summerlin donated 120 acres of land at Bartow for a town site and seat of county government. Several courthouses have existed at this site, built in 1867, 1884 and 1909.

Polk County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State - 2005


Notes:

City: Bartow, FL