Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Gardiner



Marker ID: PCHC 
Location: on Camp Mack Rd at Rosalie Blvd., Lake Wales, FL
County: Polk
Coordinates: N 27° 56.727    W 081° 25.436
  27.94545    -81.42393333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMXC4B
 



Text:

Fort Gardiner


A few miles east of here, on the banks of the Kissimmee River stood Fort Gardiner. Named for Captain George Washington Gardiner who died in the Dade Massacre in 1835. Established December 2, 1837 by Colonel Zachary Taylor on his march to the Battle of Okeechobee. Designated as the Headquarters, First Brigade, Army South of the Withlacoochee; it was used in 1838 by the Fourth and Sixth Infantry. Following the battle, the wounded were brought to this depot and sent forward to Tampa on January 1, 1838.





Sponsored by Polk County Historical Commission