Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Mark's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: FLHM F-84
Location: Main Street & Second Street.
County: Putnam
Coordinates: N 29° 38.919    W 081° 37.772
  29.64865    -81.62953333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Episcopal services in Palatka were first conducted in 1846 by the Rev. John F Young, later Bishop of Florida (1867-1885). The parish was organized in 1853, and the church completed in 1854. During the Civil War, St. Mark´s was used as a barracks by Federal troops and suffered considerable damage. After the war the church served as the missionary center of the Episcopal Church in the St. Johns Valley. The original building, though altered, is still in use today.Sponsors: In Cooperation With Putnam County Historical Society


Notes:

City: Palatka, FL