Historic Markers Across Florida



Melrose Cemetery



Marker ID: FLHM F-678
Location: on FL 21 at South St, Melrose, FL
County: Putnam
Coordinates: N 29° 42.421    W 082° 02.627
  29.70701666    -82.04378333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTEZG
 



Text:

Melrose Cemetery


Formerly known as the "Banana burying grounds," the Melrose non-denominational cemetery was established in 1860 by the Eliam Baptist Church, founded in 1859. The farming community of Banana consisted of small farms, a post office / general store and a gristmill owned by Dr. G.W. McRae (1829 - 1900), local physician and postmaster. The Baptists built their first church on the N.E. corner of the cemetery in 1860 and a second, larger church in 1883. In 1924 they relocated the church site to the town of Melrose where they built a third, larger church. Veterans of eight wars are interred here dating from the Mexican-American War (12846-1848) to the Vietnam War (1964-1973). The Civil War (1861-1865) account for six Union and 35 Confederate veterans graves. General of the Melrose area, fought in the Mexican - American War and the Civil War. In 1895 the church formed a Memorial Association to care for the cemetery property. The Melrose Cemetery Association and volunteers continue to maintain the grounds today. In 2007 a Veterans Memorial honoring veterans of all wars was erected on the site of the 1883 church at the front of the cemetery.





F-678 The Eliam Baptist Church
and the Florida Department of State
2009