Historic Markers Across Florida



The Edgar Post Office



Marker ID: FLHM F-736
Location: on Ft. McMeekin Hwy (CR 20A) in the small community of Edgar, FL
County: Putnam
Coordinates: N 29° 35.662    W 081° 57.178
  29.59436666    -81.95296666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTTYH
 



Text:

The Edgar Post Office


During the 1870s, Scotsman Charles S. Edgar mined kaolin clay deposits for the Edgar Brothers Clay Company of Metuchen, New Jersey. This clay was used to make heat- resistant bricks and hearth tiles. As the company expanded, Edgar began searching for higher purity kaolin white clays. After learning of a phosphate discovery in Florida, Edgar traveled to Florida where he located a deposit of kaolin between Interlachen and Hawthorne. By 1888, Edgar had developed a process to mine the kaolin from the surrounding fine-grained, white sand. In 1892, he incorporated the Edgar Plastic Kaolin Company. To provide for the needs of his approximately 50 employees, he founded the Town of Edgar in 1883. The town included housing, a company store, a chapel, and a post office. The Edgar Post Office began operations in 1894 and was originally located in the town’s company store. Later, the post office relocated to this small building which was constructed in 1960. The Edgar Post Office served the community until it closed in June 2010.





F-736 2012