Historic Markers Across Florida



Canova-Prince Murat House



Marker ID:  
Location: on the corner of Bridge St and St. George St., St. Augustine, FL.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.382    W 081° 18.719
  29.8897    -81.31198333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMW8BF
 



Text:

Canova-Prince Murat House
Second Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1815


Building patterns were influenced by the royal decree of 1573 to situate buildings and walls along the street edge for defensive purposes. The Prince Murat house is one of the remaining Spanish Colonial buildings and is significant for its characteristic colonial site plan and coquina stone construction protected under a stucco finish. Attic windows, or dormers, were a later addition and document the building's historic evolution. Napoleon's nephew, Prince Napoleon Achille Murat and Ralph Waldo Emerson were among the guests of owner Antonio Canova in 1827 when both visited St. Augustine for their health. Kenneth Dow acquired the property in 1941 and resided there for more than 40 years.





Sponsored by the City of St. Augustine