Historic Markers Across Florida



Father Miguel O'Reilly House



Marker ID:  
Location: on Aviles St at Bravo Ln., St. Augustine, FL.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.425    W 081° 18.676
  29.89041666    -81.31126666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMW8BT
 



Text:

Father Miguel O'Reilly House
First Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1690-1763


A tabby interior wall provides evidence that a portion of this building remains from the First Spanish Period before coquina stone construction took its place. Tabby was a form of construction that produced a cement slurry with an aggregate of oyster shells whereas coquina stone was quarried and cut to size. Both of these types are represented as the building was enlarged and altered historically. Graciously left by Father O'Reilly to the Catholic Church for continued religious purposes, the building is now restored to an 1840s appearance interpreting the life and significance of the Sisters of St. Joseph whose mission was to educate the community's African American children.





Sponsored by the City of St. Augustine