Historic Markers Across Florida



"Don Toledo"/Gaspar Papy House



Marker ID:  
Location: on Aviles St north of Bridge St., St. Augustine, FL.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.409    W 081° 18.671
  29.89015    -81.31118333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMW8BW
 



Text:

"Don Toledo"/Gaspar Papy House
Second Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1803-1817


Following the typical model of Spanish Colonial site planning, this structure is situated on the street edge and features coquina stone construction with a protective stucco finish. The exposed fireplace is a reminder of another structure that was once attached to the building both of which are built by Gaspar Papy, one of the Greek emigrants that left the Turnbull colony in New Smyrna for St. Augustine in 1777. The Papy family owned the property until after the Civil War, and the building was then marketed as a tourist destination claiming fame as the 16th century home of Don Toledo. It was acquired by the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1928 and subsequently rehabilitated to its present form in the 1940s and remains in their stewardship.





Sponsored by the City of St. Augustine