Historic Markers Across Florida



Four Centuries---Five Flags



Marker ID:  
Location: t. Francis St at the entrance to the Gonzalez-Alvarez House, St. Augustine, FL.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.280    W 081° 18.596
  29.888    -81.30993333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMW8CH
 



Text:

Four Centuries—
--Five Flags


Spaniards first settled Florida permanently at the site of St. Augustine in 1565. They raised their vivid red and white flag to establish possession of the land for their king.

The Spanish flag flew over the little garrison town for 235 years, longer than any other national flag has flown in this country.

The five flags which have marked the changes of dominion in this city's turbulent history fly from the balcony above, from the right (East) they indicate:

-First Spanish Dominion (1565-1763)
-British (1763-1784)
-Second Spanish ((1784-1821)
-Confederate (1861-1862)
-United States (1821-1861, 1862-On)





Sponsored by the St. Augustine Historical Society