Historic Markers Across Florida



King's Bakery



Marker ID:  
Location: near the National Cemetery on Marine St. St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.203    W 081° 18.559
  29.88671666    -81.30931666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMW1D4
 



Text:

King's Bakery
British Colonial Period, Built ca. 1782


This is the only known building with its origin in the British Period that exists in St. Augustine. Until Marine Street was developed, the Bakery was contiguous with the St. Francis Barracks property. The British converted and expanded the Spanish Convento de San Francisco into their Barracks including the construction of this Bakery and storeroom. The coquina stone construction and stucco finish are typical of St. Augustine's Colonial building pattern and thick masonry construction functions to keep the building dark and cool. Alterations over time served other uses including a military hospital, storehouse, and office for the National Cemetery. In 1934, a New Deal project converted the former bake house into an automobile garage.

City of St. Augustine



Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL