Historic Markers Across Florida



St Johns County



Marker ID:  
Location: on Charlotte St between King St and Cathedral Pl, St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.547    W 081° 18.690
  29.89245    -81.3115
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM32MK
 



Text:

On July 21, 1821 Major General Andrew Jackson, Florida´s first territorial Governor, established St. Johns County, with St. Augustine as the county seat. It contained all Florida east of the Suwannee River, approximately 39,400 square miles with over 1,100 miles of coastline. Since 1821, more than 2/3 of Florida´s present 67 counties have been carved from St. Johns ´ original boundaries, reducing it to 600 square miles of land area.

Sponsored by: St Johns County Historical Commission 1970


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL