Historic Markers Across Florida



Florida-The Sunshine State



Marker ID:  
Location: At the St. Augustine Amphitheatre in St. Augustine, Florida
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 52.493    W 081° 16.994
  29.87488333    -81.28323333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM47N3
 



Text:

On July 21, 1821 Major General Andrew Jackson, Florida´s first territorial Governor, established St. Johns County, with St. Augustine as the county seat. It contained all Florida east of the Suwannee River, approximately 39,400 square miles with over 1,100 miles of coastline. Since 1821, more than 2/3 of Florida´s present 67 counties have been carved from St. Johns ´ original boundaries, reducing it to 600 square miles of land area.

Sponsored by: St Johns County Historical Commission 1970


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL