Historic Markers Across Florida



Constitution Monument-Monumento a la Constitution 1813



Marker ID:  
Location: In the Plaza de la Constitución on St George St, St Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.551    W 081° 18.747
  29.89251666    -81.31245
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMJT9F
 



Text:

On March 19, 1812, the Spanish Parliament in Cadiz wrote the first Spanish Constitution and issued a Royal Decree for all Spanish towns throughout the empire to build monuments and rename their main plazas La Plaza de la Constitucion in commemoration of the new constitutional government in Spain. The Constitution Monument in St. Augustine, the capital of the Spanish colony of Florida, was constructed in 1813 in celebration of the newly formed government in Spain. On September 15, 1814, news arrived from Havana that the constitutional government in Spain had been overthrown and returned to the Monarchy. A second Royal Decree was issued to destroy all the constitution monuments throughout the Spanish empire worldwide. St. Augustine's officials resisted the order and refused to tear down what they had sacrificed much to build. It is believed that the Constitution Monument in St. Augustine is the only surviving, unaltered monument in the world from this campaign.