Historic Markers Across Florida



Government House: Changing of the Guard



Marker ID:  
Location: St George St at King St, St Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.541    W 081° 18.812
  29.89235    -81.31353333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMK6Y4
 



Text:

Until 1763, the Governor's House was Spanish Florida's capitol. When Spain ceded Florida to Great Britain, the British governors of East Florida made Governor's House their official residence. Spain regained the Floridas in 1783 as part of the peace treaty ending the American Revolution. With Spain's cession of the Floridas to the United States in 1821, the building served a reunited Florida as a courthouse and in 1823 as a capitol when the Territorial government met in St. Augustine. Title transferred to the State of Florida in 1966.Until 1763, the Governor's House was Spanish Florida's capitol. When Spain ceded Florida to Great Britain, the British governors of East Florida made Governor's House their official residence. Spain regained the Floridas in 1783 as part of the peace treaty ending the American Revolution. With Spain's cession of the Floridas to the United States in 1821, the building served a reunited Florida as a courthouse and in 1823 as a capitol when the Territorial government met in St. Augustine. Title transferred to the State of Florida in 1966.

University of Florida Historic St. Augustine, Inc.