Historic Markers Across Florida



Nuestra Senora de los Remedios-Our Lady of Remedies



Marker ID:  
Location: On Aviles Street, south of King St, St. Augustine, FL
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.523    W 081° 18.701
  29.89205    -81.31168333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMKAG8
 



Text:

Nuestra Señora de la Soledad
Our Lady of Solitude, Church and Hospital


On this site, the City Archaeology Program uncovered remains of the west wall of the late 16th century church, Los Remedios, which served as the parish church of St. Augustine from 1572 until 1702.

Burned by Francis Drake in 1586 and rebuilt, Los Remedios was a large wooden structure with a thatch roof and a richly appointed interior.

The church, with its cemetery, was located near the waterfront as specified by Spanish Royal Ordinances "so that it may be seen on leaving the sea, and in a place where its building may serve as a means of defense for the port itself." The cross on its gable was the highest landmark, intended as a beacon of faith and a safe harbor.

Together with the nearby guardhouse, government house, plaza and port landing, the church was the heart of the new settlement. It stood until its destruction by combined English and Native American forces led by Governor James Moore of Carolina in 1702-after which Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, on today's St. George Street, became the parish church.

Archaeologists have discovered European and Native American Christian burials at the site of Los Remedios.

City of 2012 by City of St. Augustine.