Historic Markers Across Florida



Dr. Peck House



Marker ID: FLHM F-107
Location: St. George Street.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.601    W 081° 18.768
  29.89335    -81.3128
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The stone walls of this building date from before 1750 and were a part of a house owned by the Royal Treasurer late in the First Spanish Period. During the British Period it served for a time as the home of Governor John Moultrie. In 1837 Dr. Seth S. Peck purchased the house and rebuilt it using the old walls and adding the frame second-story. It remained in the Peck family until willed to the City in 1931. A generous grant from the Flagler Foundation permitted extensive restoration in 1968.

Sponsors: Sponsored by St. Johns County Historical Commission In Cooperation With Department of State


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL