Historic Markers Across Florida



Sentinels of the Coast



Marker ID: FLHM F-110
Location: Lighthouse Park.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.169    W 081° 17.246
  29.88615    -81.28743333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Since early times, coastal towers were important in the defense of St. Augustine. From the wooden lookout here in 1586, Spanish sentries warned of approaching English raiders under Sir Francis Drake. Later the tower was built of stone. It served during the 1740 siege, was converted to a lighthouse in 1823 and used until it was lost to the sea. The present light replaced it in 1874.

Sponsors: St. Johns County Historical Commission In Cooperation With Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL