Historic Markers Across Florida



Public Burying Ground



Marker ID: FLHM F-117
Location: St. Augustine, vicinity of City Gate, Northwest corner of the Huguenot Cemetery.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.899    W 081° 18.835
  29.89831666    -81.31391666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

During the yellow fever epidemic of 1821, this half-acre plot was set aside as a public cemetery. Many Protestant pioneers to the new Florida Territory are buried here. Often such burials, make at public expense, went unmarked. The Presbyterian Church has owned and maintained the cemetery since 1832. Interments were discontinued in 1884.

Sponsors: St. Johns County Historical Commission


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL