Historic Markers Across Florida



Spanish Dragoon Barracks



Marker ID: FLHM F-194
Location: Cordova Avenue.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.651    W 081° 18.862
  29.89418333    -81.31436666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

A first Spanish period two-story coquina, shingle roofed structure, 33´ x 19´, erected on the east side of this lot became the barracks for the Spanish dragoons in 1792. Each story had two rooms. One upper room contained a rack for 20 muskets and 40 pistols, another rack for saddles and bridles, a table and two benches. A detached kitchen, coquina curbed well, stable and privy were located adjacent to the barracks. In the yard, a cultivated vegetable garden, orange, lemon and fig trees flourished. By 1822 the barracks had deteriorated and was razed.

Sponsors: Sponsored by The St. Johns County Historical Commission and the Security Federal Savings & Loan Association in cooperation with Department of State


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL