Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Spanish Chimney and Well



Marker ID: FLHM F-242
Location: Anastasia Island, Highway A1A
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 51.874    W 081° 16.826
  29.86456666    -81.28043333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFPE
 



Text:

Old Spanish Chimney and Well


These ruins are all that remain of what was probably a Spanish barracks which housed the quarry overseer, master masons, and stonecutters who were involved in the construction of the Castillo de San Marcos. The quarry, located directly across the road from this site, contained rich veins of coquina which the Indian workers shaped into rough blocks. Under the supervision of the quarry overseer, Alonso Diaz Mejia, the blocks were transported by wagon and then by raft to the site of the Castillo. Completed in 1695, the great fortress was the keystone of the Spanish system of defense of Florida.





F-242 St. Johns County Historical Commission
In cooperation with the
Florida Department of State
1975



Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL