Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort San Diego (Diego Plains)



Marker ID: FLHM F-216
Location: Palm Valley Road (C.R. 210), South of Ponte Vedra
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 30° 9.791    W 081° 23.395
  30.16318333    -81.38991666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Fort San Diego
-(Diego Plains)-


In 1736 Diego de Espinosa owned a cattle ranch on Diego Plains, a flat, open area east of here. For protection against Indians, his house was surrounded by a 15-foot high palisade with two bastions at opposite corners. Manned later by Spanish soldiers, this post was known as Fort San Diego. On May 23, 1740, during the British expedition against St. Augustine, General James Oglethorpe’s 400 man army captured the fort and its 50 defenders. The British added a ditch and breastwork, and used the fort to protect the St. Johns River-St. Augustine supply line. They evacuated the fort on July 25. By 1743 it lay in ruins.






F-216 St. Johns Historical Commission
in Cooperation with Department of State
1973



Notes:

City: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL