Historic Markers Across Florida



Gonzalez-Alvarez House - The Oldest House



Marker ID: FLHM F-311
Location: on St. Francis Street, next door to Tovar House.
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.281    W 081° 18.609
  29.88801666    -81.31015
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVRF
 



Text:

Gonzalez-Alvarez House
(The Oldest House)
[


For more than three centuries this site has been occupied by St. Augustinians. Beginning about 1650, a succession of thatched wooden structures were their homes. This coquina stone house was built soon after the English burned St. Augustine in 1702, and originally was a one-story rectangle with two rooms. As times changed during the Spanish, British and American occupations, a wooden second story, an off-street porch, and other features were added. Preserved by St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918, the house became a registered national landmark in 1970.






F-311 St. Johns County Historical Commission
in cooperation with Department of State
1986



Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL