Historic Markers Across Florida



Tovar House



Marker ID: FLHM F-323
Location: St. Francis Street
County: St. Johns
Coordinates: N 29° 53.280    W 081° 18.621
  29.888    -81.31035
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVRG
 



Text:

The infantryman Jose Tovar lived on this corner in 1763. The original site and size of his house remained unchanged during the British period, when John Johnson, a Scottish merchant, lived here. After the Spanish returned in 1784, Jose Coruna, a Canary Islander with his family, and Tomas Caraballo, and assistant surgeon, occupied the house. Geronimo Alvarez, who lived next door in the Gonzaliz-Alvarez House, purchased the property in 1791. It remained in his family until 1871. A later occupant was Civil War General Martin D. Hardin, USA. The Tovar House has been owned by the St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918.

Sponsors: Sponsored by The Board of Commissioners of St. Johns County in cooperation with the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: St. Augustine, FL